April 13, 2011

Don't think. Do!

When it comes to exercise, getting out of the house is half the battle. This is especially true for me on days when my motivation is low. I sit inside and debate whether or not to go exercise, until my window of exercise opportunity has flown by. Then I often feel guilty, and not to mention grumpy, that I didn't have enough "will power" to workout. Some of these days find me sitting on the couch with ice-cream or cookie dough. I have discovered that simply getting outside helps me stick with the workout. If any of you are like me, you know that breaching that fortress wall is hard to do sometimes, but necessary.
The first way to overcome this is to simply stop thinking and do something. Anything! I start by getting dressed and ready to workout and then walk outside. I have to tell myself that I am just going for a leisurely walk, and if I happen to feel like it, I can run. This trickery actually works. Once you are walking you feel good and it's not that much harder to run a little. I have to admit there are days when I do this and still don't feel like running, so I just walk for a while. Even though I didn't run the workout I had planned, I still got some valuable exercise, which is better than being on the couch with the cookie dough.

1 comment:

  1. but I love cookie dough too...:) it's true though, getting out is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete